1866 - 1926
(Karrakatta Cemetery, Perth, WA)
Born at Winkfield Windsor England in 1866, Annie Whistler arrived
in Melbourne with her family in 1890, married Charles Dorrington
and later Settled in Western Australia in 1895.
In 1901 the year of federation, Annie Dorrington shared first
prize of two hundred pounds with four others, in the international
competition for the design of our Australian national flag.
She was a prolific painter
of Western Australian wildflowers. Fifty of her works were displayed
in London in the Franco-British exhibition of 1908, with the
intention of promoting Australia. A collection of 124 of her
paintings are held by the art gallery of Western Australia. She
died at Perth in 1926 and is remembered for her significant contribution
to Australia's heritage.
May She Rest
Erected in 1999 by the state
branches of the
Australian National Flag Association and her relatives.
St Georges Terrace, Perth, WA
The Barracks (1975) - Construction began on the
barracks in 1863 to accommodate soldiers of the enrolled pensioner
force and their families. This is a fine example of Gothic architecture
with a Tudor influence, the roof was originally flanked by casuarina
shingles, the architect was Richard Roache Jewell.
The main structure was demolished in 1966 leaving the remaining
The plaque reads
The Barracks Arch is all that remains of a much
larger building with wings extending to either side of the arch,
comprising 120 rooms. The pensioner guards were professional
soldiers, veterans of such wars as Crimean and the Indian Mutiny,
honourably discharged from the British Army and sent to Western
Australia to guard the convicts transported here between 1850
The Barracks were built to house the Guards and their families
in 1863, when convicts were sent to work on many of Perth's public
buildings. Since many convicts had received long sentences, the
Pensioner Guards remained active long after transportation ceased.
They were eventually disbanded in 1878, while many retired to
farming lots, granted in return for their service, many stayed
on at the Barracks until 1904.
In 1966 the wings of the Barracks were demolished to make way
for the Mitchell Freeway and to clear the Vista of St Georges
Terrace for the recently completed Parliament House. Only vigorous
public protest saved the arch from the same fate.
see also Pensioner Guard Memorial &
Riverside Drive, Perth WA
Swan Bells bell tower features an
impressive 82 metre glass and steel spire wrapped in giant copper sails to
represent the maritime history of the Swan River. Inside the tower 18 bells
are mounted high in the bell chamber. This includes 12 bells of St Martin-in-the-Fields
which were known to be in existence from before the 14th century. The bells
have been recast on numerous occasions, 16th century by Queen Elizabeth I,
and also between 1725 and 1770 at the order of the Prince of Wales (Later
crowned King George II). The bells were presented to WA in commemoration
of Australia's bicentenary. The pavement surrounding the bell tower carries
the signatures of West Australian school children from the class of 2000.