A shroud of sadness hung over the country in the years following the end of the First World War. Families were still mourning the loss of their sons, brothers, husbands and fathers. Memorials were erected and Avenues of trees were established to remember and acknowledge the lives of the men and women who never returned home. The Soldiers’ Memorial in St Helens was erected to commemorate the men from the Portland District who made the supreme sacrifice in the Great War. 1914 - 1918
THEY FELL DEVOTED YET UNDYING
|BAILEY Arthur E
||LE FEVRE S
||TRELOGGEN Gordon C
There was a Large and representative gathering at St. Helen of people from all parts of the district of Portland on Saturday to witness the unveiling of the soldiers' memorial. It is a very-fine obelisk of red granite standing on a hewn rock on which the names are engraved in letters of gold on a concrete foundation, the whole being 15ft. high. There was a parade of returned soldiers in uniform followed by the state school children, who, under the supervision of the schoolmaster (Mr. Gardam) marched to the spot and stood at attention during the proceedings. The chairman of the committee (Mr. M. Hartnett) gave an opening address, and spoke of the generosity of the local Druids in donating the ground on which the memorial stands, and how in the near future they hoped to plant trees and beautify the grounds generally. He then introduced Mr. Alan Wardlaw, M.H.A., who spoke in eulogistic terms of our brave soldiers and the work they did during the great war. Other speakers were the Warden (Mr. D. Treloggen), the Rev. Champion, and Mr. H. Grant. Apologies were received from the Rev. Father Fitzpatrick. Archdeacon Beresford, Mr. G. Becker and others. After the unveiling, which ceremony was performed by one of the mothers (Mrs. F. Bailey), who lost one of her four sons who enlisted, many beautiful wreaths were placed on the monument, and the proceedings ended by the singing of the National Anthem.
The North-East. Examiner (Launceston, Tas. : 1900 - 1954), 4 December 1923, p.8