www.thegardensfamily.com
www.thegardensfamily.com


Thomas Arthur BAILEY (1826 - 1920)
        AKA: Thomas ARTHUR
       Born: Circa 1826 - Launceston, Tasmania, Australia
       Died: 15 Apr 1920 - New Norfolk, Tasmania, Australia
 
BAILEY, Thomas Arthur

     Father: Edward Edmund BAILEY ( -1832) 
     Mother: Sarah WILLIAMS

   1st Wife: Mary Ann BARBER (1829-1872) 
    Married: 24 Mar 1847 - Green Ponds, Tasmania, Australia  
   Children: 11

   2nd Wife: Jane BURKE (1856-1933)
    Married: 4 May 1910 - Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
   Children: 9

 

Thomas Arthur Bailey - A Blacksmith in the Family

The village smith was a master craftsman. He was not only a farrier experienced in shoeing horses he was the first engineer depended upon to produce everything from nails to agricultural implements. Until the industrial revolution metal tools and fixtures were made in a forge and nothing was mass produced. The blacksmith played an important role in the pioneer settlements in Australia and made a huge contribution to improving the lives of the settlers. In 1803 the HMS Calcutta and the supply ship Ocean  led by Lieutenant David Collins transported a contingent of convicts, free settlers and marines to the southern coast of Australia to establish a settlement at Port Phillip (Victoria). Disappointed with the site Collins abandoned the site and moved to Van Diemen’s Land where he established a settlement at the Derwent River which became Hobart Town.
Four blacksmiths were among the convicts who arrived with Collins. Edward Guest a blacksmith was tried at the Lancaster Assizes on 20 January 1802 for stealing cloth and stockings. He became the principal blacksmith at the Derwent. Another early arrival Anthony Lowe operated a blacksmith business in Elizabeth Street until his death in December 1818.1
During the early years skilled tradesmen were in short supply in Van Diemen’s Land. The tradesmen induced to the Colony didn’t stay long when they realised they could not hold property. The blacksmith had no incentive to venture to the interior depriving the settlers of much needed services. Payment was also a problem as the blacksmith could not accept payment in stock for their labour as they had no land to run the stock on. In 1822 blacksmith, John Presnell and farrier, Thomas Pearson were advertising their services, the going rate for a horse to be shod was 7s. 6d.2

Colonial blacksmiths practiced their trade in workshops that were called forges. A forge, also referred to as a smithy, was typically a barn like structure attached to the blacksmith's dwelling that was open on one side and contained a hearth or fireplace in which to heat and soften metal. The anvil was a large metal surface where the blacksmith would lay his work in progress while he manipulated it into shape with a hammer. In addition to the tools and raw materials, the forge would also contain a large barrel of water where freshly moulded metal was submerged to cool it instantly.

Each blacksmith had a set of tools used to work the iron, usually consisting of a sledge hammer, different types of hammers, nail tools, pincers, tongs, chisels, pliers, a vice and mandrels. The anvil was mounted on a large block of timber and designed to absorb the impact of the hammer. A large bellows was used to breathe life into the fire and make the charcoal burn faster. The forge would be fuelled by charcoal which was produced from slow burning hardwood, later replaced by coke. When the iron was hot enough the blacksmith could use his tools to shape the steel against his anvil. In many cases the blacksmith was also a farrier. Other associated trades included wheelwrights, tinsmiths, locksmiths, armourers, implement makers, saddle and harness makers and coachbuilders.
Traditionally trades were passed from father to son. Sons were apprenticed to their fathers ensuring their expertise was passed onto the next generation.
Young boys were indentured to master tradesmen where they usually served an apprenticeship of seven years. For the most part the Colony of Van Diemen’s Land and New South Wales was governed by the laws of England. An apprenticeship indenture outlined the terms and conditions including wages. The document would be dated and signed by all parties including a witness and a duty stamp affixed.
A government act introduced in Van Diemen’s Land and New South Wales on the first day of March 1829 allowed a master to bring action against any person who was concealing or harbouring an apprentice. An advertisement was placed in the newspaper warning off any person from employing the apprentice. The magistrate could also order the apprentice to return to his master’s service. 3

When convicts were first sent to the fledgling colony they were employed in the public works, in the construction of roads, clearing the land, felling and sawing timber. Prisoners were also assigned to the military and the free settlers as labourers and servants. Skilled tradesmen and mechanics were usually kept in government service.  During the convict era some men learned their skills while under sentence supervised by an overseer of blacksmiths. Convict establishments like Port Arthur had their own ship building yard and workshops. Blacksmiths and nailers were employed to assist the shipwrights and carpenters, to make nails and tools and carry out repairs.

Thomas Arthur Bailey
It is widely accepted Thomas was born at the Sandhill, Launceston on the 1 November 1826. Information furnished by Thomas’s daughter Mary Aiken and passed down to her descendant’s supports this.

NEW NORFOLK, Tuesday, in Mr Thomas Bailey, of this district, lies conclusive proof that Tasmania and longevity are first cousins.
Born in the Horse and Jockey public house, of which his father was licensee, at the Sandhill, near Launceston in 1823 [sic], Mr Bailey celebrated his 96th birthday on November 1st last. He was twice married, and there were 14 children in the first family, and nine in the second. Seventeen of the 23 are still living. Mr Bailey’s eldest daughter died about five years ago at the age of 70.
Mr Bailey, who is a blacksmith and wheelwright by trade, worked at his calling till four years ago. His father having died when Mr Bailey was only six years old, the latter came south and was reared by his grandfather, Sergeant Davis, at Black Brush, in the Brighton municipality. Mr Bailey finished his apprenticeship with a blacksmith named Bruce, near Bridgewater, in 1841 and 11 years later went gold hunting in Victoria during the rush in 1852. He returned to Tasmania in 1853.

World, Hobart, Tas. 21 Jan 1920, p.6. 4

By the 1840s Thomas’s mother Sarah and stepfather Edward Roach were living at Mangalore Tier (Black Brush) where they were renting a 50 acre farm originally granted to George Kearley, a former marine who arrived with Collins in 1804. Edward’s connections within the community may have paved the way for his sons to gain employment with local tradesmen. Skilled tradesmen like blacksmiths were in high demand in the colony. There were a number of blacksmiths working in the vicinity including former military men and emancipated convicts. Alexander Denholm was working as a blacksmith at Green Ponds until May 1842. He placed the following notice in the Colonial Times on the 24 May 1842.

Advertisement
The undersigned begs to announce to his friends and the Public that he has relinquished his business at Green Ponds, as Wheelwright, Blacksmith, and Agricultural Implement Maker, to Mr John Rider, and he respectfully offers his best thanks for the support and patronage he has received.
Alexander Denholm
Green Ponds, May, 20, 1842

Colonial Times, 24 May 1842, p.1. 5

John Rider succeeded Alex Denholm at Green Ponds but it wasn’t long before he was branching out in to the inn keeping business. He advertised his intentions in the Colonial Times on Friday the 26 September 1845 taking over the licence of the Bridge Inn at Pontville and continued to offer his services as a wheelwright.6

Thomas may have gained some skills from a local blacksmith at Black Brush before completing his apprenticed with James Bruce at Bridgewater. The Bruce family came from Scotland and arrived aboard the Thomas on 14 August 1833.7
Thomas’s stepbrother Edward learned the trade of wheelwright and remained close friends with the Bruce family. The wheelwright made the wooden sections of the wheel and the blacksmith made and fitted the outer metal tyre (band) onto the wheel. Wheelwrights worked closely with coachbuilders and some blacksmiths gained additional skills to become wheelwrights.
In the early days the poor condition of the roads ensured plenty of work for these men. The smithy was regularly called upon to carry out repairs on passing coaches, wagons and buggies. He would repair axles, springs and wheels and shoe the horses.

Family life
Thomas’s trade as a blacksmith began at Broadmarsh and on the 24 March 1847 he married eighteen year old Mary Ann Barber at St Mary’s Church at Green Ponds. The witnesses to the ceremony were Jas. Barber and Wm. Potter.8

To Be or Not to Be an ARTHUR

The couple’s first child Elizabeth was born at Broadmarsh on 21 July 1847. Elizabeth’s birth was registered by her uncle, Edward Bailey under the surname Arthur. The St Augustine’s Church was completed in time for Elizabeth’s baptism on 15th August 1847. Thomas named his daughter Elizabeth Bailey. From this date forward Thomas assumed his stepfather’s surname.

Two years later they welcomed a son into the family. A few weeks after his birth on the 4th of April the infant was baptised James. Towards the end of a bitterly cold winter in August 1851 Mary Ann gave birth to another son Alfred at Broadmarsh.

St AUgustines hurch, Broadmarsh, TAsmania
St Augustines Anglican Church,
Broadmarsh, Tasmania

Four months after his birth Alfred suffered a convulsion and died. The infant was buried in the grounds of the St Augustine’s Church on 29 January 1852. Following Alfred’s death the family moved to Bridgewater where Thomas completed his apprenticeship under the watchful eye of experienced blacksmith James Bruce.

Eventually Thomas branched out on his own setting up a forge at Pontville, which was described as Brighton in some records. Two days before Christmas (1852) Mary Ann gave birth to her fourth child a son named David. The family attended St Mark’s Anglican Church where their children were baptised including my great grandfather Edwin on 1st April 1855. By 1858 the family lived in a stone cottage on 5 acres of land.9

An early blacksmith at Pontville was James Undy an emancipated convict. He died in March 1851 leaving a widow and a young family. After James Undy’s death James Halley an Irish convict who arrived in January 1853 rented premises from William Johnson who was appointed William Undy’s guardian. Shoeing horses on a daily basis had its hazards.

Mr. James Halley, blacksmith, of Brighton, has sustained severe injuries from having been thrown down and trampled upon by a horse that he was shoeing.

HOBART TOWN AND THE SOUTH, Launceston Examiner, Tues 26 Nov 1867, p.5. 10 

In May 1855 Edward Roach placed the following advertisement in the Hobarton Mercury.

WHEELWRIGHT WANTED.
GOOD WAGES will be given to a first rate workman – no other need apply.
Edward Roach, Bridgewater.
4 May, 1855.

Advertisement, The Hobarton Mercury, 7 May 1855, p.4. 11

In 1858 Edward Roach, junior was renting a cottage in Bridgewater from Edward Luttrell. A few years later following the death of James Bruce, Edward took over the cottage and smithy from his widow.
Thomas and Edward skills ensured they worked closely with local coachbuilders and blacksmiths. James Bruce had operated a forge at Bridgewater until his death on 15 November 1858. Edward Roach was his executor and in August placed the following notice in the Mercury newspaper.

All persons having claims against the Estate of the late James Bruce, deceased blacksmith, late of Bridgewater, will please SEND in the claims to the undersigned.
Bridgewater, Edward Roach, August 7, 1879.

Advertisement, The Mercury, 11 Aug 1879, p.3. 12 

Edward Roach remained living at Bridgewater until his death on 23 June 1903.
Another smith at Bridgewater was Edward Ricketts who lived on a town allotment in a garden cottage with a smith attached. In 1874 Ricketts placed an advertisement for a skilled blacksmith ‘who must be able to shoe.’ 13

Blacksmiths also became carpenters, usually born out of necessity to serve the community. A few became undertakers where they not only took care of the deceased, they also provided the wagon, horses and made the coffins.

A few months before his death Mr. Bailey recalled, “Since the main railway line from Hobart to Launceston opened 15 or 20 public houses that existed on the main route from New Town to Green Ponds (now Kempton) have been closed, among them being the Dusty Miller, Traveller’s rest, Black Snake, Old Fox, Good Woman and the Crooked Billet.”14

As the popularity of the railway grew, this shifted the focus away from the main road between Hobart and Launceston marking the decline of the coaching services. There was no longer the need for coaching inns, inn keepers and associated trades like blacksmiths, grooms and wheelwrights to tend the horses and carry out repairs.

During the Victorian gold rush there was a great upheaval in the population. Men abandoned their land in the hope of making their fortune on the goldfields. Tradesmen struggled to keep their apprentices who were lured away by gold fever. The tradesmen who had agreed to complete work were unable to meet their obligations. In 1852 the craftsmen called for stricter controls and penalties to govern apprentices from leaving their masters employ.

Brown Family
Edward Thomas Brown arrived in Van Diemen’s Land on the 14 November 1850 aboard the William Jardine. Edward was a qualified carpenter and set up shop as a wheelwright at Kempton (formerly Green Ponds).
In December 1854 Mr. Brown a wheelwright brought action against his apprentice’s mother Mary McEwan for damages of £500 for breach of apprenticeship indenture. Mr Brown had agreed to allow his apprentice, James Duncan McEwan to go to the gold diggings in Victoria with the understanding he would return to his service within ten months. Brown had tried to lure James back to his service by offering him a large increase in wages. But no incentive could persuade him to return. As a consequence Brown had employed another boy in his place. The only flaw in his case was Brown had neglected to obtain the lads signature on the apprenticeship indenture. The jury returned a verdict for the plaintiff and awarded damages of one farthing.15

During the gold rush large quantities of fencing timber was transported to Victoria. Timber mills also relied heavily on teams of horses or bullocks to move timber from the forest to the saw-mills or to port for transportation. Larger mills had their own blacksmith shop and employed their own smiths to sharpen tools and carry out repairs on implements and equipment.

In 1858 Edward Brown was renting a cottage and smithy from John Nichols. In August 1861 financial problems brought Edward before the courts. The Brown family continued to live at Green Ponds and in 1875 Edward was renting an 86 acre farm. During the 1860s skilled tradesmen were still in short supply and the forge at Green Ponds regularly lay idle.

 

Thomas Bailey and his family were settled at Pontville and they were living in a cottage with a smithy shop on 5½ acres of land.16
The following advertisement was placed in the Hobart Town Mercury on Friday.

To Blacksmiths.
To LET – A BLACKSMITH SHOP and tools
complete in the Township of Bothwell. For
further particulars apply to
John Merry, junr.
Bothwell.

Advertisement, Hobart Town Mercury, 25 Dec 1857, p.3. 17 

The economic downturn made it harder to earn a living and Thomas may have replied to the advertisement for a blacksmith at Bothwell. Thomas and his family made their home at Bothwell and his son Frederick was born there in September 1859 but it wasn’t long before Thomas returned to Brighton. Thomas regularly attended the horse races at Brighton and in 1864 his 5 year old grey gelding Lottery competed in the Publican’s Purse against a field of six local horses finishing in fourth and sixth place in each heat. Mr. Blacklow riding his horse Faugh-a-ballagh had it all his own way in both heats and took home the prize of 30 sovereigns. Lottery was also an entrant in the Consolation Stakes for horses beaten in previous heats. Christopher Iles’ 3 year old mare Deception took out the event.18

At Brighton on the 17 August 1865 Thomas reported the theft of his black pig which weighed about 40 pounds. Thomas’s neighbour Joseph Eden was charged with having feloniously stolen the pig valued at £1.19

The prisoner Eden elected to be tried by jury. The depositions of the following witnesses were then taken; Thomas Bailey stated he resided at Pontville, and the prisoner was his neighbour. Having missed a pig, he obtained a search warrant to search the prisoner’s house, and accompanied Mr Kenny and Constable Dean there. The pig he missed was all black, a hog, and four months old. Mr Kenny having read the warrant to the prisoner, proceeded inside, followed by witness, and the first thing he saw was a pan full of fresh pork chops. Mr Kenny then drew his attention to a tub, containing fresh pork, small, and cut up, but the head not among it. Mr Kenny asked the prisoner, where the head belonging to that pork was? The prisoner replied, he had not got it, he had bought the meat, but did not get the head with it. Mr Kenny asked him who he bought it off. The prisoner said he would not tell him. Mr Kenny then made a further search, and found in a soup tureen, on the top shelf of the dresser, part of a pig’s head, the face covered over with a plate. Witness recognised it as belonging to his missing pig, and had his mark on the nose – a piece cut off that day eight days. The pork evidently had been a black pig some of the black hairs were still on it. Witness swore positively to the face, the mark on the – corresponding exactly to his other pigs of the same age, similarly marked on the same day.
The prisoner cross questioned the witness, but the question did not touch upon the charge.
James Bailey, son of last witness, deposed he was passing the prisoner’s house with his bullocks on the evening of Thursday, and heard the squeaking of a pig in or near the house of the prisoner.
Thomas Dean, constable, deposed being present at the search, and to the facts of the finding of the pork. That when prisoner was given into custody by Mr Kenny, the prisoner’s wife said to him, “You are an unlucky man you did not steal, but you received for other thieves. I often told you, you would be caught some time” The prisoner replied, “No odds. I will tell how I got it. I will not be alone.”
The prisoner put a few questions to this witness, but without affecting what he had already said.
Mr Kenny deposed to making the search, and finding the pork, and on asking the prisoner where the head was – being told by him that he got no head from the party, and would not tell who the party was, he had bought it off. That on further search he found a portion of a head which Mr Bailey at once recognised as his property, and pointed out his mark on the nose. This being the whole of the witnesses for the prosecution, the bench called upon the prisoner for his defence, cautioning him in the usual form. The prisoner said he should call a witness, but would leave his defence for his counsel on the day of trial. He called Mrs Catherine Downey, who deposed to having sold the prisoner two pigs either in March or April last. They were not black, but white and carroty. They would now have been coming on for nine months old. The pork produced could not possibly be any portion of the two pigs she sold the prisoner.
The Bench committed the prisoner to take his trial at the Supreme Court, and ordered his removal to the Hobart Town gaol.
The Superintendent of Police informed the bench that on prosecuting his search he found most cunningly concealed under the earth, in the centre of the dwelling, a cask, commonly called the “Round Swamp” which was there evidently for the purpose of receiving meat. That a small side opening was in the cask, which corresponded with a similar opening in the partition of the room hid by two shingles, so that a person by removing the shingles could extract anything out of the cask without having to go to the next place, where the cask was sunk. The whole was most cleverly contrived. He also found half of a carcase of a sheep, very young and poor, evidently a two-tooth, which the prisoner refused to account for. However he had every reason to believe he would be able to trace the ownership, and the stealing of it. That he was aware of sheep stealing being carried on extensively in the neighbourhood for some time past, and was sanguine in being able to bring the parties before long to justice. It is to be hoped that he will be as successful in detecting these sheep stealers as he was in bringing to conviction lately, the sly grog sellers who had been so long a pest to this district.

COUNTRY COURT, The Mercury, Tuesday 29 August 1865, p.2-3. 20 

Thomas purchased a 50 acre farm at Dromedary and continued to work his forge. While working on his property at Dromedary Thomas was mistaken for bushranger Martin Cash and arrested.  Cash and his accomplices were known to frequent the area and were believed to be hiding on Mount Dromedary. The constable escorted Thomas to Brighton where he was subsequently identified and released.
In 1870 Thomas successfully tended for a three year contract to convey the mail at Brighton, Black Brush and Broadmarsh bi-weekly for £22.21

A short time later Mary Ann’s health began to decline.
Mary Ann died at her home at the age of forty-two on the 11 May 1872. Years of constant childbearing, resulting in a prolapse led to her traumatic demise. Her remains were buried in the St Mark’s burial ground at Pontville, leaving a large family to mourn her loss. Thomas’s four youngest children were aged between three and ten years of age.

Mary Ann’s death is likely to be the catalyst that influenced Thomas to move closer to his daughter Elizabeth. Three years earlier Elizabeth had married James Sylvester Donnelly, a saddle and harness maker who resided at Green Ponds.
Thomas daunted by the task of raising a young family enlisted the help of Jane Burke to maintain the household and care for the younger children. Thomas leased his cottage and forge in Pontville to James New.22

Thomas carried on his interest in horse racing and in 1873 Thomas challenged to run his horse Banker against Woollyderby, the winner of the Hamilton Plate, 2 miles on the Hamilton course, for £20 aside, carrying town plate weights.23

By 1875 Thomas’s land holdings had expanded and he held 104 acres of land at Dromedary. He was also leasing the blacksmith and carpenter’s shop at Kempton (Green Ponds) from Robert James. Robert James was a coachbuilder at Bridgewater and also branched out into making agricultural implements. His business prospered and his family had several farms in the district.
In 1875 the blacksmiths increased their charges.

In consequence of the rise of Iron and Carriage we, the undersigned, are compelled to raise the price of SHOEING on the 1st April, to the following rates, viz.:-
Hack Horses, per set……………..5s
Cart Horses, plain shod………….6s
Cart Horses, steeled shod………7s

Job Hale, Green Ponds
Edwd. Brown, Melton Mowbray
Thos. Bailey, Green Ponds

Advertising, The Mercury, Thursday 1 April 1875, p. 1. 24 

 

GREEN PONDS
Next morning I started to look around the scenes of boyhood’s days. I first took a peep at the blacksmith and wheelwright shop occupied by Mr Hall; but as all the employees were perfect strangers to me, I did not stay long here, being anxious to have a look at my old friend, Thomas Bailey, who is also in the iron and timber line. I found him very busy; but he showed me around the establishment, and I must say, I was struck with the pitch to which the art of coach building had attained. Mr Bailey had just completed a very handsome chaise cart, painted and lined in the latest style- the painting on the panels beautifully illustrating waves of the sea, whilst the springs and other mountings were tinted with rays of the sun, transit of Venus, etc., altogether reflecting great credit on Mr Bailey as a body-maker. I believe it is built to the order of A. Webb, Esq.
My old friend and school mate, Mr. D. Brown, jun. has added many improvements to his cordial factory and brewery. Jem Donnelly is still in the Post-office, and save the dreadful dullness, Green Ponds is much the same as it was in 1870. By giving these lines publicity you will let many a Green Ponds absentee know the state of things in the “Ponds.”
Yours etc., A Reformed Vagabond, Green Ponds, August 13th 1877.

Green Ponds, The Mercury (Hobart, Tas.) Wed 15 Aug 1877, p.3.25

In July 1880 Thomas decided to relinquish his holdings at Pontville and the properties were advertised for sale. The properties consisted of
Lot 1;  land comprising 2 acres, 1 rod and 34 perches,
Lot 2;  a 1 acre lot fronting Morrison Street,
Lot 3;  a four room stone house and blacksmith shop on 1 acre, 1 rod and 34 perches fronting William Street.26

Twenty years later the blacksmith’s daughter married the wheelwright’s son and a union was formed between the Bailey and Brown family. John George Brown married Lyle Sarah Mary Bailey at her home in Green Ponds on 22 November 1881.27

In 1859 a committee was formed to investigate the viability of constructing a railway line in northern Tasmania. In 1868 the first railway line connecting Launceston and Deloraine opened followed eight years later when the Tasmanian Main Line Railway Company constructed the line between Hobart and Launceston which was officially opened on the 1 November 1876. The construction of the railway provided a new source of income for the smithy. The railway workshops provided further opportunities for apprentices to learn to make the railway jewellery which included base plates, rail clips, rail pins and any items used to fix the rails.

TASMANIAN MAIN LINE RAILWAYS

CARPENTERS, SMITHS, MASONS and
ABLE-BODIED LABOURERS can obtain
EMPLOYMENT by applying to our Agents
Mr. CLIMIE at Lower Jerusalem; Mr. HUMAN
at Ross; and Mr. FINCHAM at Evandale.

CLARK, PUNCHARD, & REEVE,
Contractors

The Mercury, 11 April 1873, p.1. 28 

The railway marked a shift away from horse-drawn transport and also shifted the focus away from the main road (Midland Highway). The towns along the railway began to prosper and goods were transported shorter distances by road to the nearest railway station. The inns once frequented by the coaches became deserted and the towns by-passed by the railway went into decline. This may have influenced Thomas to move to Bothwell. Coaches continued to run from Bothwell via Melton Mowbray to Hobart until the construction of the Apsley line in 1891. Travellers soon embraced the new mode of transport and the coach run between Hobart and Launceston became obsolete. In May 1877 well known coaching identity Samuel Page sold his stable of horses and most of his carriages. His son maintained a service from Conara originally known as The Corners to St Helens. Eventually a railway line was constructed from Conara to the east coast and the sound of cracking whips and galloping steeds thundering along the pass disappeared into antiquity. The Fingal line was used to transport coal from the Mt Nicholas coal mine and the coal was also used to drive the locomotives.  The railway not only spelled the end of the stage coaching industry but rendered many of the associated trades obsolete.

Thomas and his family moved to Bothwell where they lived in a cottage with a shop attached in Alexander Street. Their youngest son Thomas was born there in 1889.
By this time his eldest sons James and David had left home. They first moved to New Zealand before permanently making a home in New South Wales. Edwin and Frederick who had been helping their father in the business were enticed to the east coast following the discovery of tin and other precious metals.

To BLACKSMITHS. – WANTED a good GENERAL SMITH,
constant employment and good wages.
Apply THOMAS BAILEY, Bothwell.

Advertisement, The Mercury, Monday, 18 February 1884, p.1. 29 

Thomas leased a fifty acre parcel of land at Dromedary to Robert Parsons. The property adjoined Elliott’s farm was described as well watered and about twenty acres had been cleared. The property was offered for sale by Guesdon and Westbrook at their Collins Street mart in 1880 and again in 1885.

Thomas made the move to New Norfolk taking over the premises of Thomas Allwright in High street, where he remained working until four years before his death.30
Thomas died as a result of heart disease on the 15 April 1920 at New Norfolk.31

Obituary, Thomas Bailey, 21 Apr 1920.

BAILEY, Thomas Arthur

 

 

 

 

 

Thomas Arthur Bailey

The late Mr Thomas Arthur Bailey, whose death was announced, last week, had a most interesting career, both as a pioneer and a sportsman (says our New Norfolk reporter). He was born at the Sandhill, Launceston, 97 years ago, his parents keeping the hotel known as The Horse and Jockey. He was a blacksmith by trade, but in his early days engaged in farming, bush work, sawing, splitting, and carting. He was a good all-round sportsman, and a keen lover of a good horse.He was a horse trainer for several years, and many a time he was his own jockey. He was also a renowned pigeon shooter.

While working on his farm at Dromedary he was arrested in mistake for Martin Cash, and was escorted to Brighton, but on being subsequently identified was released. Mr Bailey followed his trade at Green Ponds, Bothwell, Hamilton, Broadmarsh, Bridgewater, and finally at New Norfolk. He went to live at Moonah about three years ago, but would not stay there. Standing six feet one and a half inches high Mr Bailey was a splendidly proportioned man, and the day before, his death was in full possession of his mental faculties and able to take his customary walk. He was married twice, and had 23 children, nineteen of whom are still living. His grandchildren total 112 and the great-grandchildren number between 80 and 100. The deceased was well known throughout the State.

Personal, The Mercury, 21 Apr 1920, p.5.32

In later years when Jane’s health began to deteriorate she went to live with her daughter Mrs. Stannard in Hobart. Jane died on 19 July 1933 at her daughter’s home, 48 Brisbane Street.33 Thomas and Jane are buried in an unmarked grave in the New Norfolk General Cemetery.

New Norfolk Cemetery, Tasmania

New Norfolk General Cemetery, Tasmania

The sounds of the blacksmith’s hammer which once echoed out across the valleys know lay silent. During the twenty-first century some blacksmiths adapted and turned their premises into garages to service the burgeoning motorcar industry.
However with the passing of time, the introduction of the motorcar and mechanised farming equipment the livelihood of the blacksmith has been replaced with modern workshops and petrol bowsers.

Blacksmiths & Wheelwrights

Thomas Arthur Bailey
Frederick Bailey, St Helens, Tasmania
Frederick John T. Bailey, St Helens, Tasmania
Edgar Sydney Bailey, Tasmania
Algie Bailey, St Helens, Tasmania
Henry Charles (Harry) Bailey, New Norfolk, Tasmania
Thomas Arthur Bailey, New Norfolk & Moonah, Tasmania
Charles Arthur Bailey, Melton Mowbray, Tasmania
John Maxwell Hugh P. Bailey, St Helens, Tasmania
Edgar William Bailey, Coopernook, New South Wales
Augustus Edgar (Gus) Bailey, Coopernook, New South Wales
James Richard Bailey, Robertson, New South Wales

References

Convicts Unbound: the story of the Calcutta convicts and their settlement in Australia Tipping, Marjorie
Hobart Town Gazette and Van Diemen’s Land Advertiser, Sat. 17 Aug 1822, p.2.
The Mercury, 1 May 1865, p.1.
World, Hobart, Tas. 21 Jan 1920, p.6.
Colonial Times, 24 May 1842, p.1.
Advertising, Colonial Times, 26 September 1845, p.1.
Arrival, James Bruce, per Thomas, TAHO, Hobart, GO3/1/1 P478, image 473.
Marriage Certificate for Thomas Arthur & Mary Ann Barber, 1847 Green Ponds, TAHO, Hobart, RGD37/1/6 no. 587.
1858 Valuation Roll, Brighton.
HOBART TOWN AND THE SOUTH, Launceston Examiner, Tues 26 Nov 1867, p.5. http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article36647473
Advertisement, The Hobarton Mercury, 7 May 1855, p.4.
Advertisement, The Mercury, 11 Aug 1879, p.3. http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article8980047
Advertising, The Mercury 25 Nov 1874, p.1.
World, Hobart, Tas. 21 Jan 1920, p.6.
Brown V McEwan, SUPREME COURT – YESTERDAY, The Courier, 21 Dec 1854, p.2. http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article2247474
1858 Valuation Rolls for Central & Eastern Tasmania, p.L1-5.
Advertisement, Hobart Town Mercury, 25 Dec 1857, p.3. http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article3245948
BRIGHTON RACES, The Mercury, Sat 19 Nov 1864, p.2. http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article8829583
COUNTRY COURT, The Mercury, Friday 25 August 1865, p.2. http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article8834643
COUNTRY COURT, The Mercury, Tuesday 29 August 1865, p.2-3. http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article8834710
The Mercury, Tuesday 24 May 1870, p 2.
1875 Brighton Valuation Roll, p. 104. https://thegardensfamily.com/ValuationRolls/Brighton-1875.htm#B
Advertising, The Mercury, 9 Apr 1873, p.1.
Advertising, The Mercury, Thursday 1 April 1875, p. 1. http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article8936281
Green Ponds, The Mercury (Hobart, Tas.) Wed 15 Aug 1877, p.3.
The Mercury, 21 July 1880, p.4.
The Mercury, marriage notice, Brown – Bailey, 8 Dec 1881, p.1. http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article9003366
The Mercury, 11 April 1873, p.1. http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article8926960
Advertisement, The Mercury, Monday, 18 February 1884, p.1.
The Hobart Gazette, 1900 New Norfolk Assessment Roll, 10 Apr 1900, p.497.
Death Certificate, Thomas Bailey, Apr 1920, New Norfolk, Reg.no.1680.
Personal, The Mercury, 21 Apr 1920, p.5. http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article11469704
Death notice, Jane Bailey, Mercury, 20 Jul 1933, p.1.

 

 


Go Up One Level

Web Design by GP Atkinson

www.thegardensfamily.com

Last Updated: 22-Oct-2019 12:30
© Copyright      Enquiries by e-mail