1875 VALUATION OF PROPERTY, HOBART TOWN AND LAUNCESTON
Hobart - Alphabetical list of Persons Occupying a Property
Hobart - Alphabetical list of Proprietors of a Property
Launceston - Alphabetical list of Persons Occupying a Property
Launceston - Alphabetical list of Proprietors of a Property
Brighton - Assessment Roll
Other Valuation Rolls
Hobart Town, 7th June 1875
Having completed our surveys of properties in the City of Hobart Town and the Town of Launceston, we have the honor to forward to you the new Valuation Rolls thereof, which have been prepared under our instructions and supervision.
We have endeavoured to ascertain in every case what rent the properties produce; and have generally, except where held under peculiar conditions, taken such amount to be a 'reasonable rent' in accordance with the terms of the Act, under the provisions of which we have been working.
It will be seen that we have made an increase in the total value of properties situate in Hobart Town, of £5,811. This sum, however, is caused partly by the addition of a good many properties not in the Corporation Roll- as, for instance, Market Place and other Municipal Buildings, Sunday Schools, &c., amounting to £2,729.
In Launceston the increase amounts to £5,149, and arises, in some degree, from similar additions, but principally from the properties having been under-rated in the Corporation Roll.
We desire to express our sense of the highly satisfactory manner in which the clerical work has been performed by Mr Toby and Mr George Boyes, and the ready assistance they have uniformly afforded us in our tedious and somewhat laborious work.
We have the honor to be,
Your obedient Servants,
HENRY HUNTER } Commissioners
H. DOWLING }
The Hon the Colonial Secretary,
The valuation rolls are a valuable source to family historians who wish to trace their families' movements and property. The valuation rolls were also printed in the Hobart Town Gazette each year. The Hobart Town & Launceston Valuation Rolls were prepared in street order. The surnames from the Valuation Roll have been extracted and compiled into two alphabetical surname lists. The 1875 valuation rolls for the following districts are also available;
Brighton, Campbell Town, Deloraine, Green Ponds , Evandale, Fingal, Glenorchy, Hamilton, Hobart, Longford, New Norfolk, Oatlands, Ross, Westbury.
A lookup service is available.
- Street number;
- Description of property;
- Name or situation of the property;
- Name & residence of the occupier of the property;
- Name & residence of the proprietor of the property;
- Rateable value; £
The use of the word ditto has varied throughout the valuation rolls. In many cases ditto refers to the first word in the line above which was quite often house. In some cases it referred to all of the line above. This inconsistency has hampered the transcription process. (eg; ditto written below house & shop could mean house OR house & shop).
It is advised you consult primary records to determine any interpretation or the use of ditto. Further research of land records maybe required.
Tasmanian Steam Navigation Company
AA Guano Company
Anglo-Australian Guano Company
Extracts from 1875 Valuation of Property
Commissioners G A Kemp & Francis Butler
Progress Report of the Commissioners appointed to enquire into and report on the Annual Value of Property in the various Districts of the Colony in accordance with the provisions of the Property Valuation Act now in force.
Hobart Town 27th July, 1875
Having completed our inspection of the Thirteen Districts enumerated below, viz.
|| Green Ponds,
we have the honor to submit to you the following Report thereon.
We have visited, with few exceptions, most of the land in the thirteen districts which we now report upon.
In all the districts we have visited, with the exception of Campbell Town and Ross, there are some small holdings occupied by what may be called peasant proprietors. Some of these holdings were taken up many years ago, but the principal part have been taken up by selectors under the 24th Section of the Waste Lands Act.
These selections are generally situated some considerable distance from the principal roads in the districts, and in the valleys high up in the hills; consequently the communication therewith is by bush tracks of the worst description, making the expense and labour of taking their produce to market considerable.
Some of these selections have been abandoned in consequence, in some cases, of unwise selections; and in others, having been taken principally for the sake of the timber, when that was exhausted they were of no further use to the selectors. In all these cases the scrub has again covered the land, and the buildings have become ruins.
In the majority of cases considerable improvements have been made, land roughly cleared and fenced, and rough huts and other buildings erected, the amount of improvements generally depending on the length of time the selectors have been living on the land. In a few cases the original rough buildings have been replaced by comfortable cottages, and the land more thoroughly cleared. In nearly all cases the labour necessary to bring the holdings into their present state has tasked to the utmost the energy and determination of the selectors.
The Districts of Glenorchy and New Norfolk may, to a certain extent, be classed together, possessing in a great degree the same features and same management.
The valley of the Derwent runs through the two districts. Agriculture, where the land is fitted, is carried on extensively; a large area of land is under hop culture, and large orchards abound. In valuing the hop grounds, we have taken into consideration the presence, or absence, of the necessary buildings required for preparing the hops for market. This will account for the difference in value placed upon some of the grounds. With the exception of the narrow valley through which the Derwent flows, the land in these districts is principally composed of high and barren ranges, almost valueless for grazing or agriculture.
Many small lots of land have been taken up in the Mount Wellington range, between Hobart Town and New Norfolk, principally by selectors under the 24th Sec. of 34 Vict., No.10, Waste Land Act, 1870.
There are also some lots taken up on the opposite side of the Derwent amongst the hills. The land here is not very good, but the fine timber upon it must (if unutilized) soon pay the first cost of clearing.
The District of Hamilton is a pastoral one, very little cultivation being carried on compared to its extent. There is some cultivation around the township of Hamilton, but the labour of clearing the stones from the land must prevent tillage ever extending.
A very large proportion is in the hands of a few proprietors, and the land is used solely for grazing and fattening stock. Some of the finest grazing lands in the Colony are situated around Hamilton and the Ouse Bridge, consisting of uplands lightly timbered, thickly grassed and generally well watered.
The lands in the Marlborough Country are of a different description, consisting of heavily timbered hills, with extensive marshes between. There are some elevated plains, covered with dead trees, many still standing; the land is good and thickly grassed. These plains form the best portions of this country, and, were it not for the drawback of the climate, might be classed with some of the best lands of the Low Country, but owing to the cold, few sheep are pastured thereon during the winter. Many of the hills are steep, stony, with little grass, and almost valueless.
A few selectors have taken up lands in the district, but the land occupied by them is generally poor in quality and of limited extent.
This district is principally occupied by graziers and dairy farmers. The marshes are some of them of the richest description, furnishing a large portion of the fat cattle for the Hobart Town market. The principal part of the cheese that finds its way into Hobart Town is made in this district. The hills are for the most part rocky and barren, especially near the coast. There are a few small spots in the vicinity of Falmouth and George's Bay, marshes, very limited in their area that may be considered of first rate quality. The land in the valley of the South Esk and Break O'Day Rivers, and that between Avoca and St Mary's Pass, may be looked upon as the best in the district, and let at a much higher rate than any district we have hitherto visited; but, owing to the goodness of the soil and constant moisture, the rents are readily paid, and the tenants doing well.
The blocks of land that have been taken up in this district by selectors and small occupiers, among whom are many Germans, have in many cases, had much labour expended upon them. In some cases the land has been laid down to English grass, which grows luxuriantly, so that in many of the lots there is a good permanent pasture.
The mining localities of the Black Boy and Mangana are almost useless for any purpose, most of the land being of the poorest description. There are some fair sheep runs in the district- open plains, lightly timbered; these are held by large proprietors, each one occupying thousands of acres. Very little land is cultivated in this district.
DELORIANE & WESTBURY
These districts, possessing the same features and character of soil, may be classed together. In them agriculture and grazing are combined. Some of the richest grass lands in the Colony, and also some of the finest agricultural lands, are comprised within their area.
A large extent of the finest land in these districts is in the hands of a few individuals, some using them solely for the purpose of rearing and fattening stock, whilst others have let them out to tenants in blocks of from 100 to 300 acres; where this latter is the case, homesteads have been erected, and the lands divided into paddocks.
Thousands of acres have been put under cultivation, and miles of hawthorn hedges planted,- adding to the beauty of the scenery and value of the properties.
Deloraine is a district possessed of the richest soil. On many of the agricultural farms the trees are still standing, dead; but the branches, and occasionally the trunks, falling must do much injury to the crops of grain.
There is, of course, some barren land in the locality. The lands between Deloraine, Westbury, and the Tamar are generally poor, mountainous, and barren, of little use to the farmer or grazier,- fit only for splitters and sawyers; also, some of the lands, high up the Western Tier, and the heads of numerous creeks that empty themselves into the Mersey, Meander and South Esk.
Far away in the backwoods, and difficult of access, many small selectors have settled themselves; amongst them, many Germans and industrious Scotsmen.
LONGFORD & EVANDALE
These districts possess to a certain extent the same features, a large extent of the most fertile soil, open grassy downs, and forest land, lightly timbered, forming some of the finest sheep-runs in Tasmania.
They combine to a very great extent the power of feeding a large number of fat and store stock; there are also thousands of acres of the richest soil under plough, a large portion of which, having been cultivated for many years, has been thoroughly cleared of timber.
A large proportion of all grain grown in the Island is produced in these and the adjoining districts of Deloraine and Westbury, and a great number of fat cattle and sheep find their way to market from their luxuriant pastures.
The Western Railway, passing through these and the adjoining districts of Deloraine and Westbury, is of incalculable advantage to both graziers and corn growers, the facility, cheapness and rapidity of transit for their produce is so great a benefit that it is difficult to place a correct estimate upon its advantages. The roads are for most part good and in first-rate order.
These districts may be considered, as well as the adjoining ones of Deloraine and Westbury, well watered; the Meander, South Esk, Mersey and numerous creeks (their tributaries), passing through or bounding them.
We consider these districts, together with Deloraine and Westbury, the finest in the Colony; well watered, with good roads, fertile soil, and quick transit, there is little more to be desired.
CAMPBELL TOWN & ROSS
These districts present the same distinctive characters; little cultivation is carried on in either of them; the greater part of both is in the hands of sheep farmers, who possess thousands of acres solely appropriated to the breeding and rearing of sheep. The land is for the most part lightly timbered, consisting of extensive open downs, peculiarly adapted for sheep, and being of a sandy or lightly loamy nature, easily dries after rain, and is consequently sound and healthy.
The lands far from the main road are hilly and heavily timbered in parts, but capable of supporting large quantities of store sheep and cattle.
The Lake lands, which form part of these districts, and Oatlands are for the most part thickly grassed, with the exception of the numerous rocky rises that intersect the country in all directions.
This district, although possessing within its boundaries the fine properties of the Eastern Marshes, and some fine grazing estates near Oatlands and Jericho, cannot be looked upon as equal to the Western Districts for fertility of soil, or to Campbell Town and Ross for adaptation to sheep farming. There is much cultivation going on in this district, many of the farms being held by small occupiers, who are solely employed in growing and carting their grain to the township of Oatlands. Many fat cattle and sheep find their way to Hobart Town from the Eastern marshes and other parts of the district; and when the Main Line Railway is completed the facility of moving their stock will be of great benefit to the graziers, as well as the grain producers.
Many small lots have been taken up in this district, principally in the vicinity of 'The Bluff'. Few, if any, of these lots have been abandoned. The land, as a rule, is poor, sandy, and stony, although there are some fertile spots.
BRIGHTON & GREEN PONDS
These districts may be classed together, possessing nearly the same character of hill and dale, and about the same proportion of grazing and agricultural land. They are both hilly districts, with occasional fertile valleys of no great extent, as the Cross Marsh and the Vale of Bagdad. The farms are not generally so large as in the Northern districts, and far more cultivation is carried on in proportion to their extent. The hills which form a large portion of these localities are not fertile- lofty rugged, and barren, scarcely fitted for any useful purpose. The cross roads are wretched, not safe to travel over in winter and far from good in summer.
There are a few selectors who have taken up small blocks of land at the back of Constitution Hill, towards Jerusalem, and also some on the road to the Broad Marsh. These locations are generally composed of poor soil, amongst the hills; many of them have been taken up within the last year or two, and are little improved. The roads to them are almost impassable.
There are many lots taken up on the range of the Dromedary; the land (with few exceptions) is stony and poor. The steepness of the roads renders access most difficult. Many of these lots have been abandoned.
Brighton - Assessment Roll
OTHER VALUATION ROLLS
Hobart Gazette's including Valuation Rolls
RUSSELL (Stanley) Valuation Roll, Hobart Gazette, 12 Nov 1878
KINGBOROUGH 1879 Valuation Roll, Hobart Gazette, 12 Nov 1878
Including Bruni Island, Blackman's Bay, Kingston, Snug, Peppermint Bay
BRIGHTON 1881 Supplementary Valuation, Roll Hobart Gazette, 18 Oct 1881
HOBART 1882 Valuation Roll Hobart Gazette, 2 Jan 1882
GREEN PONDS 1882 Valuation Roll, Hobart Gazette, 2 May 1882
RICHMOND 1883 Valuation Roll, Hobart Gazette, 27 Feb 1883
FINGAL 1884 Valuation Roll, Hobart Gazette, 18 Mar 1884
CARNARVON 1901 Valuation Roll, Hobart Gazette, 26 Nov 1901
(Including Carnarvon, Nubeena, Premaydena, Taranna)
LONGFORD 1901 Valuation Roll, Hobart Gazette, 26 Nov 1901
(Comprising Longford, Cressy & Bishopsbourne)